So, we’re back in the shop, having finally gotten all of the needed parts, and through the Thanksgiving day holiday. Here you can see that we have received the outer two leading edge wing cores from Velocity. We first cut the outer core close to the damaged line, and worked it back to match the wing with a piece of sandpaper (quickly pulled between the two parts) to get a nice join line. Once those matched up pretty closely, we cut the middle core to approximate length and started doing the same with it until it matched, and then worked the inner edge down until the two cores would just fit into the opening. I have to say, I’m nicely surprised at what a nice fit we’ve managed. Thanks go to my shop buddies Jerry and Bobby.  Incident Repair III


Cleaned up outer wing section

Cleaned up inner wing section

Wing Cores Fitted, Tops

Wing Cores Fitted, Tops (2)

Wing Cores Fitted, Bottoms

Wing Cores Fitted, Bottoms (2)

Strobe platform molded piece, fitted

Posted By: Brett Ferrell
Tuesday December 2nd, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Categories: Blog Incident Repairs

One response to “Incident Repair II”

  1. Document says:

    […] We’ve begun the recovery process. If you haven’t read the incident report, check that out here. In the first picture you’ll notice that the failed line was not simply under-flared. There were two largish sections of the flare that had fractured off and were still in the nut. I’m not completely sure what this tells me, certainly the there could have been too much flare pressure used, making the flare too thin. The factory tells me that they have seen failures like this when the nut is over-tightened. That is also possible, because we had been getting some weeping from this line and just snugged it down tighter. In any event, with the high pressure (the factory also tells me that some folks are foregoing the 3003 for some 5xxx series tubing) and the vibration, I’ve elected to go with hose from Aero based on the recommendation of Gene at Magnum.  Incident Repair II […]

Please Login to Comment.