Here’s a quick picture of the fuselage sanding continuing. We’re fixing some other odds and ends, like my door key lock froze up, so Bob replaced it this weekend, and I bonded the rudder conduit down more firmly, as I’d done it every foot or so, and we think it might have allowed too much slop. Also this weekend, we started preparing the NACA runners for an extension from the fuselage into the runners, because we were losing a screw from the pilot side last year, and it would bow down and cause high temps on those cylinders. Just some stuff that needs fixing before we prime.

Sanding the Fuselage

Tacking down rudder cable

Preparing the NACA runners


Posted By: Brett Ferrell
Monday June 22nd, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Categories: Finishing Finishing
Tags: Building Finishing Fuselage

3 responses to “Sanding the Fuselage”

  1. Document says:

    […] This section is simple enough, just take 3/16″ nylaflow tubing from 6″ aft of the attachment point on the pedal assembly, through the carbon beam, sweeping gently up to the top of the gear bulkhead and extending slightly out the back of the firewall. The only real trick here is that the recommended method of taping this line down didn’t work too well for me while the small sections of BID were setting up and I had to try all manner of weights and things to hold them in place. We tacked these down better later, which can be seen here. […]

  2. Document says:

    […] Here you can see we’ve added angled ducts to the sides of my NACA runners. I hope to do two things here, well, maybe three. I don’t want to suck rain (1) into the engine, so I was moving to the side discharge. I would also like to get better ram air flow (2) into the motor, so by taking a more direct route to the new air cleaner, and expanding the duct closer to the NACA (3), I think overall flow will be much improved. We’ll probably never really be able to tell if any of that is true, but I like it better. Some additional information on the runners can be found here. […]

  3. Document says:

    […] Well we’re happily sanding away, and have everything from the strake tops up stripped. Tomorrow we’ll lean her back and start stripping the bottom of the fuselage. We also patched the delaminations next to the copilot door today, a pretty minor repair, but something that needed to be done. Man, there’s a lot of area to get sanded, and some of it (the insides of the small nose NACA ducts) is really unpleasant. But, hopefully we’ll get to fill scratches and pinholes this week, and maybe fix up the door and nose cover fit. We’ll eventually want to mount the wings to get the fit to them better as well, but I prefer not to think about that right now. Oh, and my spruce gauges finally showed up, and my new Fast Stack hub is in transit! Fuselage. […]

Please Login to Comment.